YEC 1382 ‘Unittie’ The Long Term Project, Part 2

Welcome to The Long Term Project, Part 2. The second in series of posts on the restoration of YEC 1382 ‘Unittie’. I hope you have already seen Part 1.

In the previous post you will of read about the moving of the loco to a new home for restoration and the start of the evaluation of what work needed to be done.

On with the story..

23-05-15

This day was the start of taking things apart. Albeit this time just to get things serviceable. This time it was the brake rigging. This needed cleaning up and adjusting just to get the handbrake to work.

This was a more difficult job then we expected even though we knew it wouldn’t be easy.

As you can see a lot of heat was needed to get the nuts freed off but as soon as this was done we got the brakes adjusted correctly. The rigging will be removed completely at a later date to give it a full refurbishment.

At the end of the day 1382 was parked back outside with its fellow YE Half Janus ‘Arnold Machin’

13-06-15

Moving onto the next working weekend Charlie started off by tidying up some of the easy bits of paintwork. This being mainly the buffer beams.

I also took the time to do some final check on the electrics before the main task of the day.

As soon as the whole team arrived we started to prepare ready for the main aim of the day. First job was to give the engine bay a good inspection to check for anything out of place. As part of this we also checked in the fuel tanks, only to find that somehow there was a load of sand in the bottom. This wasn’t a problem as were going to be running out of containers before moving to the tanks after they were flushed out.

Once this check was complete, 1382 was pulled outside ready for some engine testing.

First, we held the fuel rack closed by tying down the stop solenoid and took off the air inlet pipe from the filters, in case the engine ran away. We then bravely pressed the start button to see if the engine turned over.

To our great surprise it did and very well. This allowed us to get some oil circulated and check all was free (We did check this by baring it over first). With the inlet pipe off a small spray of WD40 into the inlet to lubricate the bores a bit was enough to make the engine fire and start running…. or so we thought. The engine was stopped by choking the inlet with a rubber sheet.

Next step was to add some diesel and see if she would run. So with pipes in the barrels and the system bled we went for a start. After only a few revolutions the engine ran but it was immediately evident that something was wrong as the RPM just continued climbing. This was the exact reason we had pulled the inlet pipe off as the engine was again choked to shut it down.

Our first suspect was the fuel pump so this was soon removed and inspected. The issue was soon obvious….

As you can see water had found a way into the pump and we can only assume that this had caused the rack to stick in the full open position.

Fortunately our hosts at the time had a spare pump on the shelf and agreed to allow us to use it until we got ours repaired.

Ours on the left, the spare on the right.

With this fitted we went for another attempt. This was a great success!!!

Read part 3 here where we continue with the testing.

Please Share and follow to find out more:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *